About Shinny USA
Shinny is a Canadian term that refers to a type of hockey played casually with friends. It is often associated with pick-up hockey or pond hockey. Shinny is a game that all levels of hockey enthusiasts can play because it requires no formal hockey training. Shinny is non-competitive and recreational by nature, and scoring is secondary to the camaraderie among our participants.
Shinny USA was founded in 2001 by Jim Malesich and Dave Lane, two West Chester residents who had a vision of creating an environment where hockey enthusiasts can play the game of ice hockey in a friendly, “low-pressure” atmosphere. Because Shinny USA is a grass-roots type of program, it attracts local players who look forward to sustaining friendships more than the game itself. With access to multiple sheets of ice, Shinny USA is able to offer varying levels of play to accommodate players with different levels of ability and experience.
Shinny USA is currently offering its Morning Shinny program at the following locations and times:
- Ice Line in West Chester, PA – Monday through Friday starting at 6:00AM
- Oaks Center Ice in Oaks, PA – Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays starting at 6:00AM
- IceWorks in Aston, PA – Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays starting at 6:00AM
- Hatfield Ice Arena in Colmar, PA – Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays starting at 6:00AM
- Skating Club of Wilmington in Wilmington, DE – Saturdays starting at 6:00AM
- The Skatium in Havertown, PA – Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays starting at 6:00AM
- Penn Ice Rink in Philadelphia, PA – Fridays starting at 6:00AM
- PNY Sports Arena in Westtown, PA – Mondays and Wednesdays starting at 6:00AM
- The Campus, Downingtown, PA – Thursdays starting at 6:00AM
In addition to the above-listed morning programs, Shinny USA runs a series of Friday evening events known as the Friday Night Specials. These mini-tournaments are offered at various times throughout the year at many of our current rink locations. All games are played with the same recreational format as our morning shinny, offering several hours of hockey in a party-like setting, featuring food, beverages, and giveaways. It’s like Poker Night, only on ice and without the cards!